January 23, 2014

Rating System

I love Flixster, Hulu, and Netflix. They make many of my viewings possible. In part, they are the reason I started this blog. Of all the rating system used by those sites, I like the Flixster method the best. My rating system is very similar, but instead of stars, I use numbers. Here's a breakdown of just what the numbers mean:
  • 1 = Hated it. No redeeming qualities. I'm looking for a way to travel back in time to get part of my life back.
  • 2 = Didn't like it. Less than 10% of the movie was watchable.
  • 3 = Liked it. These movies are just past the post of "was it worth my time." I might watch it again, I might not.
  • 4 = Really liked it. A movie worth watching again. I'll probably buy it even though Netflix will probably carry it soon.
  • 5 = Loved it. One of my favorite movies of all time. I will stop what I'm doing and watch if I see it's playing. I could watch this movie over and over without losing any love for it.
Like most things in life worth measuring, I believe movies are (for the most part) normally distributed. I realize that there may be more really awful movies than really fantastic ones, but I'll try and filter those out. My ratings will generally reflect how good a movie is, but there are times I will acknowledge a movie achieves its purpose but in a style or manner I don't care for. I will try to remain objective, but not to the point of killing the purpose of doing subjective reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment